Mold Growth Prevention
We all know that a humidity level in your home that is too high can promote mold growth. Mold grows quickly in damp conditions, establishing a significant colony within 24-48 hours. Allergens and irritants are released as it spreads, and in some cases the situation can become toxic to those with respiratory problems. Children, older people, and pets can be especially susceptible to this danger.
Using a dehumidifier in your home can help to prevent this situation. Optimal humidity levels are between 30-50%, with 45% being the best level possible. A dehumidifier will help to maintain your indoor humidity at a comfortable level, which saves you money and helps to stunt or prevent any mold growth. Small units are available at reasonable prices, so you can put one in every room of the house that is devoted to water: the bath, laundry, and the kitchen!
Making sure your HVAC system is running at its most efficient will help to keep down your humidity levels, as well. Vents should be cleaned before the wetter months and replacing filters before every season is always a good idea.
Running fans when it’s humid outside helps to keep the damp down and cool you off at the same time. Circulating air keeps everything drier. If it’s more humid inside than out, crack a window.
Give your houseplants some outside time, as well; potting soil is wet, of course, since you must water your plants, so putting them out in the sunshine can be helpful. The leaves of a houseplant can also sustain mold growth, and you will want to keep an eye on that. There are natural solutions that can be applied to take care of this issue.
Call SERVPRO of Blue Bell at 215-643-6116 for all your larger cleanup projects after a fire or flood. We are also experts in mold remediation!
courtesy of LinkedIn